Friday, April 6, 2012

What are your guilty pleasures?

Lately I've been hearing a lot about this novel called 50 Shades of Gray, which apparently started out as Twilight fanfiction. I haven't checked it out personally, but I've read people's comments, particularly on the PubRants post by Kristin Nelson. Seems like many people consider it a guilty pleasure...not high literature, but an escapist novel to be read on a lazy day, away from friends who might tease you.

This got me thinking about my own guilty pleasures. When it comes to TV, I have several, including Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, and Dance Moms. The last one is particularly awful....I'm embarrassed to admit I watch it, but the little girls are incredibly talented and it's fun to watch them dance.

But what about books? Have you ever read a book that's considered pure escapism? My reading guilty pleasure would have to be Pretty Little Liars. These books are completely addictive....I powered through the entire series in a matter of days, and occasionally I tune into the TV show, which deviates enough from the novels to still surprise me. Now, I doubt you'll find anyone who argues that Pretty Little Liars is great literature (nor does it aim to be). And as a writer, I do love great literature. But their appeal and enjoyability can't be denied. And sometimes, escapism is exactly what the doctor ordered.
So what about you guys? Do you have any guilty pleasures, reading or otherwise?

7 comments:

  1. A coworker of mine just powered through Fifty Shades of Grey and immediately purchased the next books in the series. I wasn't thrilled about the original Twilight so not sure if I'll find my way to this series.

    However, my guilty please would have to be True Blood. I haven't had a chance to read the novels yet but I do love the series. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Pretty Little Liars in a just a few days, too! Thought they were great - especially the first four. I'm not a fan of the TV show, maybe because i don't have time for TV most nights.

    One of my biggest guilty pleasures is Dawson's Creek. I love that show and will pop in a DVD every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is okay, Kate. I watch Dance Moms too. I admit it. I tell myself it's because I want to spend time with my little sister while she watches it, but I know deep down it's because I enjoy it too. XD

    As for Pretty Little Liars, I tried watching it. Watched like the first five episodes of the first season. It wasn't bad, but I didn't feel like it was a good endorsement for my time. Do The Babysitter Club books count as guilty pleasures?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! My guilty pleasure? My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic! Or at least, it used to be. Now pretty much all my friends are "bronies" and "pegasisters" (fans of the show over twelve years old) and so I don't have to be guilty anymore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. American Idol and What Not to Wear, as far as TV goes. For books, I'd have to say the Vampire Academy series. So addictive! I always buy them, read them, then donate them to my local library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that post about Shades of Gray too. I'd never heard of the book and felt especially out of the loop when she said something like "You'd have to be living under a rock not to have heard about this title."
    My guilty pleasures include writing fan-fiction and synopses for an idea I'll probably never even start. I also like TV shows such as Lie to Me, White Collar, and Psych. The last one is an extra guilty one because it's so far fetched.
    ~Sarah F.

    www.inklinedwriters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore a great romance novel. I'm not into erotica, but a steamy romance (Nora Roberts at times) is fun to flip through. :)

    ReplyDelete