Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Witness the creation of literary brilliance

....from my seven-year-old self. I found a stack of old stories in my elementary school scrapbook, and I thought it would be interesting (aka hilarious) to share.

*Also, if you have a moment, go check out Angelica Jackson's blog. She gave an awesome shout out to Teen Eyes and we're so grateful! Thanks, Angela!*



Island of Dragons and Fuzzys, age 7. My very first chapter book. The first page is quite amazing, if I do say so myself.



Untitled Story, age 7 1/2. Note the use of a typewriter and my discovery of quotation marks. Also, apparently I didn't understand the difference between quizzes and homework.



Magic Tree House book, age 8. I wrote this as a present for my sister, who loved the Magic Tree House series. Eight was the age at which I discovered computers.



Untitled Story 2, age 9, written with my little cousin Sophie (age 6). One of my first "novels". I use the word "was" in about every sentence.


A. What exactly are "complex features"? B. The phrase "mysterious wonder" made me want to bang my head against the wall.


So there you have it. An evolution of my writing, from age 7-9. I'd like to think I've gotten better since then, but it's a lot of fun to look back on old pieces. 

What about you guys? How old were you when you started writing? Do you have any stories saved?

13 comments:

  1. Hahaha oh gosh I need to do this. Remind me when I get back home to do some digging! I also lost novels #2-3. But short stories are posted on the blog somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. I wish I had kept things I wrote when I was younger. I remember being so proud of a satire I wrote in the style of Dr. Seuss and a story who's narrator was blind, so all descriptions were based on sound, touch, etc. You were a gifted writer even at 7-9. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have stories from when I was little, some even have drawings included. hee hee. It's so funny.

    Love yours! It's amazing how our writing changes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I am so impressed at your ability to grow. No wonder why you're at the level you are now at your age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote and illustrated a book at about age 9; you can see a few pictures on my Hunger Mountain interview http://www.hungermtn.org/visiting-with-angelica-jackson/ It was about a young unicorn that runs away from home and ends up among humans, who were very mean to her--boy does that say a lot about my 9-year-old psyche!

    I also have books that my nieces and nephews did for me when they were very little, and they recently rediscovered them and had a good laugh. I think it's great to look back on these kinds of things; even my writing from ten years ago is drastically different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! Yes, I do have stories I saved from childhood. They are brilliant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kept mine too. But yours are much better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are actually REALLY good, Kate! Especially with how young you were. Your draft from age eight is better than many things I read online these days. You were destined for brilliant writing! What a "mysterious wonder." ;-) I did keep one very short story from when I was a younger teen. It's on my blog. I named the MC "Sersiona." *Gags* I'm sure your eight-year-old writing eclipses that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HA! I found my blog post with my 5-6 year old work! http://www.tarynalbright.com/2011/07/teen-blogfest-days-7-writing.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Kathryn: Thanks! Hahaha oh don't even get me started on names....I went through a Tolkien phase where I just made up names, and they were awful. Note how I don't mention any of my characters' names in the above post ;). They're just too embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did a bit of writing at that age, but it's all be lost in the Sea of Forgetfulness :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How precious! That's very cool that you still have those stories. I'm stopping by from the platform building campaign to introduce myself and hit your follower button:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful that you still have these! They are very good, especially considering your age at the time! I am a fellow Campaigner dropping by to say 'hi!'. I will definitely be back, too. I love your site.

    ReplyDelete