Wednesday, February 15, 2012

We're all in this together!

Back when I first started out in the writing community, I remember perusing the acknowledgement sections of published books. It seemed as if all the big-name writers had critique parters/beta readers who were published authors themselves (Holly Black and Cassandra Clare come to mind). I recall saying, "That's not fair. They had published author friends who helped them get agents/editors! I don't have any published author friends!"


A presenter talked about a similar experience at LTUE this year. We both believed that, in order to be published, we had to find beta readers who were already successful. Over the years, I've come to realize how wrong I was. Those critique partners did it together. They started out a group of unpublished, unknown writers, and one by one they found agents, editors, and signed book deals. Already one of my betas (Liesl Shurtliff)(who is also my favorite person ever and I miss her a gajillion)(she made me add that after I added a modifier for Taryn)(am I good at parenthetical abuse or what?) has a book deal, and my beta reader (and FAVORITE PERSON EVER)(she made me add that) Taryn just signed with an agent. Slowly but surely, we are moving forward.


So here I am today, with my unpublished, unknown critique partners. And I have the utmost confidence that we are going to do this together (cue bad High School Musical reference). Someday, readers will be able to look through the acknowledgments of my books and recognize the names of my critique partners and betas. And they'll say, "It's not fair! She had published authors to help her along!"


2012 is ours, blogosphere. We are the next generation of YA/MG authors.


So.......yay for us!

19 comments:

  1. Now I'm going to pump my fist and we can all run out on the field together :) haha :)

    This is so true though. You can't do it without many others help and you really have to be on the same starting point as those you're working with. I always tell my CPs, sure I'm going to be excited if/when I get published, but I'm going to be equally as excited when you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts! I feel so much better after reading them. I also read the acknowledgement section in books. It makes the author seem more like a real person and gives me the hope that I can make it someday too. Now I need to find some great critique partners and more beta readers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite Crit Partner combo would be Lewis and Tolkien, but they weren't published either when they started.

    Like you said, we all have to move our way forward a little bit at a time, with our friends, CPs and betas to guide and support us.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My beta reader"? That's all I am to you? *turns up nose*

    Seriously though, this is so true. And I'm to the point where I'm reading acknowledgements and I know the people mentioned, which is super cool.

    High five!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my crit partners and feel so lucky to have their talented-selves critiquing my stuff.
    (I think I saw you around at LTUE. Next time we'll have to say hi to each other!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an awesome post. Having a group of people to support you is awesome. Oh, and congrats Taryn on signing with Vickie. AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I totally agree. I know each and every one of my cps will land a book deal cuz I've read their book and know how awesome they are.

    And now I must watch some Zac Efron. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unpublished? Yes. Unknown? Yes. Unstoppable? You better believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Kate! We're on the Campaign Trail together, in the YA 3a group! I love your blog! It's so pretty! I'm the first of my critique group to get an agent, but I know that my fellow writer friends will be right behind me! Great post!

    And... you've been tagged! You can go to my blog for deets:
    http://www.daisycarter.com/2012/02/11-questions.html

    Let me know if you post the questions! I'd love to know the answers!

    Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I didn't see you at LTUE! Did you have a great time? I loved the keynote speaker.

    I just found some betas. It's a great idea to get published friends to read my ms. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's fun to start out as unknown and end up otherwise. We've had two cps/beta readers sign with agents. One last year, one recently.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, now let's move it to a a four count, and slide, hip-shuffle, squat and side-kick...combining a little dance with tae-bo as we're all in this together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahem. Can I get some kind of tag after my name? Like "My favorite critique-partner-mother-of-three-who-can't-drive?"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exactly! My core CP group are all unpublished, but we're getting better and better each week we meet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great post! *starts singing and dancing* We can do it! Saying hi from the campaign! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. And how much more satisfying it is to see your unknown, unpublished critique partners move out of obscurity and into the known world! How fun it is to take that journey together. Great post, Kate.

    I've tagged you to answer some questions for the campaigners to get to know you. If you'd like to join in, the questions are at http://celestarimington.blogspot.com/2012/02/ive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey girl. I was sad to miss LTUE this year, but I'm glad you're a part of the campaign! I thought I'd invite you to be a part of a blog hop at the end of March. What do you think? I couldn't find your email

    ReplyDelete