Sunday, February 5, 2012

Maybe I'm just stupid....

....but sometimes I can't read the little code things you're supposed to type in to prove you're human. You know, the warped letters and numbers? Does this mean I'm not human? That I'm a computer? Ahkdhlkdsjlfjdslfj *cue existential crisis*.
Anyways, these things are annoying, especially when I have to type them in every time I want to post a comment on someone else's blog. Here's the thing: unless you have a wildly popular blog with thousands of weekly visitors, you are unlikely to get spammed (my word verification's been off for over a year now and I haven't gotten a single piece of spam). So as a frequent commenter on many writing related blogs, this is a friendly suggestion: turn off word verification. It's easy enough. Go to settings, click the bar at the top that says comments, then scroll down to the word verification section. Once you turn it off, it will be easier for other people to comment on your blog.

It's not a big deal. I'll still comment on blogs with word verification, as I'm sure other people do as well. But seriously, sometimes those verification phrases are so twisted, pixelated, and distorted they're impossible to read. Am I the only one who has this trouble?

Do a favor to your blog readers and turn off word verification.

12 comments:

  1. Fine. Since you're the second person to bring this up recently, I'll go do it right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you'd think after you hit the "Publish" button it's all done. But nooooo. I just recently turned off my word verification for that very reason, although I keep the approval phase on there (which is sort of the same thing I guess, so maybe I shouldn't say anything. Well too late now. I've already typed all this. And my parenthetical commentary is getting very long too...)

    I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree about turning it off if you don't have a popular blog - spambots can come in huge numbers to blogs, and popularity often has very little to do with it (if you're visible under a Google search, spambots will find you).

    Some Captcha's are a pain in the bum to read (I need to the use the 'refresh' button a few times on some of them), but there are improved systems around like ReCaptcha and Akismet that can be used to make it easier to read.

    If word verification isn't working out for a blogger, they've got to be very careful to bring it something else to replace it before turning it off. (Especially if they're on self-hosted blogs.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I so agree. No reason to have the word verification thingy for the one spam post every six months.

    Sometimes it has me wondering if I'm human... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been worried I'd get buried by spam. Maybe I'll turn off captcha and see what happens.

    Callie Kingston

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I agree. I've had it turned off for a long time and never been spammed. I also allow anonymous comments, but that's a benefit of obscurity, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious - I JUST published my post revisiting my word verification post. I also have never been spammed. And I do avoid commenting on word verified blogs - especially if I asked them nicely to turn it off and they ignore it. I simply have too many blogs to spend time jumping through extra hoops. If you want people to comment, don't be rude about it and slam the door in their face with a word verification!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're not stupid. Some of them ARE hard to read. I hate word verification. I think it's default on blogger, though, so I believe that most people don't even KNOW they have it on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Kate! Commenting is simply easier for those of us who like to leave comments when all you have to do is click the "publish" button. I turned mine off a while ago and got one spam message, once. Easy delete. I'm just glad blogger isn't bombarded with spam like twitter it (that's a whole other story). :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I turned mine off a while ago. Haven't had any problems without it (yet). =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree-word verifications drive me nuts. Glad I'm not the only one:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen! I critique blogs and I when I come across word verification I always recommend the blogger removes it. So I'm totally in agreement.

    ReplyDelete