Thursday, February 16, 2012

11 Questions!!

*Edit: I'm obviously challenged, because it took me two days (and a note from Taryn) to realize I miscounted. There are actually 13 questions.*


So I've been tagged a whopping four times (as far as I know) in the 11 questions game for the platform-building campaign. Since 44 questions is a lot to answer in one day (I'm really not that interesting, I promise), I decided to pick and choose a few from each list. Thanks to Celesta (my wonderful CP), Sarah, Daisy, and Cindy for tagging me!


1. Where in the world would you like to go?
Everywhere. I spent summer 2010 working as a volunteer in rural Kenya, and I've set my sights on Uganda for summer 2013. I'd love to visit India, Tibet, Nepal, Thailand, Egypt, Peru, Brazil, Guatemala, and many other places. I plan on traveling a great deal before settling down to (hopefully) have kids.

2. Besides reading and writing, name two other hobbies you have.
I competed both as a gymnast and a soccer player. I absolutely love the outdoors, be it soccer, rock climbing, running, or hiking.

3. Are you a swimmer?
No, I suck at swimming. But I do have webbed toes, so everyone tends to assume I'm a really good swimmer.

4. Why do you write YA?
And I direct you to this post.

5. Do you have children?
I certainly hope not.

6. Have you served anyone lately?
I did a lot of community service in high school (Big Brothers Big Sisters, working in Kenya, volunteering at Shriners Children's Hospital, NHS, Write On!, Humane Society, Food Bank, you name it). My service sort of petered off as I entered college. However, I'm planning to start volunteering next month as a 24-hour rape crisis hotline operator. I'll answer phones at Utah's rape recovery center to counsel victims, and possibly meet victims at local emergency rooms to provide support as they go through the rape kit process. This is a subject that's very near and dear to my heart and I'm excited to start working with RAINN.

7. What's the last book you read?
The last book I finished was Lauren Oliver's BEFORE I FALL. I'm currently reading (and quite enjoying) CHIME, by Franny Billingsley.

8. What's your first memory?
I distinctly remember being unable to distinguish between boys and girls. According to my psychology teacher, gender differentiation occurs around the age of 24-30 months, so I was probably close to 2 years old.

7. Suzanne Collins, JK Rowling, Stephenie Meyer, Neil Gaiman, Judy Blume and John Green call. They all want you to come to their house for dinner, but all on the same night. Whose dinner invitation do you accept?
JK Rowling, without a doubt. I was the perfect age for Harry Potter. Sorcerer's Stone was the first book I read on my own (at age 6), and the final HP movie was released the summer I turned 18. I literally grew up with those books and those characters. No series has impacted my generation like Harry Potter.

8. What is the name of the first story you wrote voluntarily?
Haha. It was called Island of Dragons and Fuzzys. You can read a rather brilliant excerpt here.

9. What is the coolest/strangest thing you've ever done?
I'm not going to lie, streaking naked across an African savannah was pretty damn cool.

10. Do you work?
Hmm. Interesting question. I run a freelance editorial business with my friend Taryn (see the Teen Eyes tab at the top of my blog), I'm a soccer referee, and I write. Does writing count as work?

11. When do you do your best writing?
Honestly? Whenever I take the initiative to turn off the Internet on my computer.


So there you have it! 11 awesome questions and 11 (not so awesome) answers. Thanks again for tagging me! I've been flipping through other campaign blogs looking for people to tag, but it seems like I'm a little behind the game here, and most everyone's already done an 11 questions post. If there's someone out there who hasn't yet been tagged, I'd be more than happy to come up with questions! But for now I'll just leave it at that.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

11 comments:

  1. LOL! You are so awesome! Especially streaking across the African savannah. I'm going to do that one day. HA! I've only ever done it across our apartment parking lot with chaps and ski goggles on. It was still fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! And streaking across Africa! umm...I want to try that!

    And yay for soccer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teehee, that was awesome! I'm like you, on the hunt for non-tagged 11 Questions bloggers :) I'm so excited that we're in the same Campaign group *waves*

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your answers!! Oh, and I don't think anyone minds being tagged again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is actually definitely 13 questions and 13 answers. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Stopping by from the Campaign to say 'hi'. Love the title of your first piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kate, you have led an interesting life...streaking across a savannah? I'm afraid my hiney would have been chewed off... okay that's probably tmi!

    I'm your new follower via the campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this. I'm stopping by from the Platform Campaign. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to know you! Not in the Campaign, but a new follower nonetheless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Just traipsing along the campaign trail :) I love your answer to #3. Ha!

    ReplyDelete