Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Love what you do

EVERNEATH CONTEST. Go enter. Now.



There are times when writing feels like a job. Particularly during the revisions process, I find myself procrastinating, getting distracted, and making every possible excuse not to work. Revisions just aren't that fun for me. There's none of the creative excitement of a first draft, and after multiple read throughs I get bored by my own writing. When you can recite paragraphs without reading them you know you've read a book one too many times.

Sometimes writing is hard work. We persevere. We do it even when it's not fun. But if you ever get to the point where writing is a constant hassle, where you can't bring yourself to sit down and work, something's wrong. Writing should never be awful. Sure, revisions can be tough, but if they're pulling you down it's time to take a break. Work on a new project. Forget writing for a week or two.

Because if you lose the joy of writing, then your stories will come out dull and bland. Always remember what brought you to writing in the first place. Keep that in your mind, that love of storytelling, and you'll be able to get through revisions just fine.

8 comments:

  1. So true! Now I need to go write something else for a few weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. It's so true. We can't possibly do our best work if our heart's not into it. Some evaluation needs to be done to find out the root of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely true. I never force myself to write if I don't feel like it. But usually if I don't feel like typing out a few hundred words, I'm still up for jotting down a couple ideas or drawing a few characters/scenes. I just have to remind myself that I can still be doing something productive and writing-related even if I'm not necessarily writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts. I'm the exact opposite. I love taking something already on the page and make it better. When there's nothing there until I put it there, that's when those blasted MPOGs tempt me the most. Heck, even taking writing off for a day is vacation enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think taking a break is a good idea. Sometimes I feel like my WIP is total crap. That's when I need to step back cause I'm so sick of it. If I work on something else for a few weeks and come back to it, I find I love it again and believe in it enough to push through those revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree. I read about an author once who took years to get published. When they asked why, she said it was because she didn't have passion for any of her other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This posts definitely rings true for me. I'm slogging through revisions now, and while it's hard, I still love this book. I will always love this book, even when I hate it. And I'll do whatever it takes to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kate!
    Congrats from a fellow teen YA fantasy writer!
    Revision is definetly my least favorite part of writing, I'm afraid that I'm in that boat at the moment...gah right?
    I'm so happy to see you off getting published and conquering the world! Send some of that my way will ya? ( :
    I love reading you're blog posts, and hearing about your novels. Keep it up!

    - Cheyenne Lynnae
    Writers blog: www.cheyennelynnae.com
    Twitter: @CheyenneLynnae

    ReplyDelete