Friday, November 25, 2011

A CONTEST! Plus my favorite YA book covers

I've always loved looking at pretty book covers. One of my biggest fears is that I'll get stuck with a cover I hate....what if it's ugly or colored wrong or just plain blah? I think many writers worry about their covers, so I thought I'd do a post with some of my favorite YA book jackets. Keep in mind I have very specific tastes when it comes to covers....I generally prefer asymmetrical covers with human figures, usually creepy/ethereal in some way. I'll also be holding a contest for one of the books listed below. Blog/tweet/comment on this post, and the randomly selected winner will get to choose a book from this list, which I will mail to them.


Wither - I'm pretty sure this cover appears on most lists. The image is gorgeous, and the lines really pull it all together.


The Unquiet - I have a thing for water and reflections.


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - This image is awesome in general. The entwined human figures are so interesting and beautiful and creepy, and once again the water just makes it.


The Treachery of Beautiful Things - For some reason, I absolutely love how the chains of flowers become part of her skirt.

The Near Witch - Lace. Enough said.


The Water Wars - Like I said, I'm a fan of the ethereal. The face is unremarkable on its own, but the eyelashes turning to water really drew my attention.


Shattered Souls - This cover has everything I could ask for. It's got a human figure, it's somewhat creepy, the image is abstract/ethereal, and I love the coloring.


The Sharp Time - My love of reflections strikes again.


Frost - Man, one of my all-time favorite covers. So creepy, so beautiful.


Fracture - REFLECTIONS EVERYWHERE! I find the position of the figure interesting, as well as the color scheme.


Folly - Again, one of my all-time favorites. I love how creepy and gorgeous this cover is.

Everblue - Her hair is supposed to be underwater, but the reflections look very strange, and I love the interesting patterns it creates. Also, love the contrast of her red hair with the blue.


The Dead-Tossed Waves - The image, the angle, the ocean....awesome cover.


Texas Gothic - Don't know where the smoke's coming from, but I'm intrigued.


Corsets and Clockwork - Did I mention I have a thing for clockwork?


Breathe - Love the bubbles, the position of the face, and the color contrast.


The Name of the Star - Love her dress, her hair, and the ghostly figure in the foreground.



So what are you guys' favorite covers? What do you look for in a good cover, and what's your dream book jacket?

The contest to win one of these books will be open until December 2, 2011. At that point I will choose a random winner, who may select one book from the list above (if the book hasn't yet been released, the winner might have to wait a few months to receive their prize). Here's the scoring system:

+1 for commenting on this post with your email address
+2 for following
+4 for tweeting
+4 for blogging
+4 for facebooking
+1 for adding up your points (correctly) in the comment section

Hope y'all enter!

<3

7 comments:

  1. So many beautiful covers!!
    I love it :)

    GFC Jenni Merritt

    jennimerritt.writing (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just followed you from my blog and I have to say I am SO impressed. 18? Serious? I want to be just like you when I grow up. Love your cover choices. I just bought The Unbecoming solely because of the cover. So for your contest, I'll play along: I tweeted you, joined your blog, commented here, posted about you on Facebook (though I couldn't find you there?). So with my email: extranormalbooks @ suzereese.com, we should come to 12 points! Booyah! Good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. +1 sophiathewriter at gmail
    +2 for following
    +4 for tweeting
    http://twitter.com/#!/sophthewriter/status/140365459835977728
    +4 for facebooking
    http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=270712756314390&id=100002692737184
    +1 for adding up your points (correctly) in the comment section

    +12 total!

    (and when are you going to get rid of evil word verification aaaaaaaaah)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate,

    Really fun post! I agree with Suze - Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is stunning. I've not read it yet, but because of the cover I've seen several times now, it's definitely on my list.

    I like the Mortal Instrument covers by Cassandra Clare, because there is a hint of what the characters look like, but there is enough room left for your own imagination to fill in the details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! I know I've bought old editions of a book because I couldn't stand the revamped cover. I also find "child" versus "adult" covers fascinating--They didn't include the Newbery on Gaiman's new Graveyard Book cover, did you hear? I wonder what it's like to be famous enough that the Newbery becomes a distraction...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the cover for The Near Witch. Maybe the contrast of the white against so many darker toned covers really captures me.

    I got an email last week from my editor saying they have assigned a designer for my cover! (Just the designer, no illustrator yet.) But they asked me to give my opinions on design, images, illustrators, etc. So I wrote like a three page email...It was super fun! Though since my book is MG, my thoughts on a good cover are a little different from the above examples. More illustrations and color I think. And not-dead people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. +1 naseoullee@gmail.com
    +2 for following
    +1 for adding up your points (correctly) in the comment section

    +4!

    Thanks for this giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete