Sunday, November 13, 2011

BECOME

So, as I mentioned Friday, my good friend Ali Cross released her first YA novel, BECOME, on 11/11/11! Congrats, Ali! As part of the Most Awesome Blog Tour Ever, Ali will be joining me today on Weaving Colors to talk briefly about BECOME while I rave on and on about her amazingness.


BECOME
by Ali Cross


Sixteen-year old Desolation Black wants nothing more than to stay in Hell where it’s cold and lonely and totally predictable. Instead, she’s sent back to Earth where she must face the evil she despises and the good she always feared.

When Desi is forced to embrace her inner demon, she assumes her choice has been made—that she has no hope of being anything other than what her father, Lucifer, has created her to be. What she doesn’t count on, is finding a reason to change—something she's never had before - a friend.

Now, where to begin? I first read BECOME back in July when Ali asked me to give it a look and provide feedback. By the end of the first page I was hooked. Not usually a huge fan of paranormal romance, I devoured BECOME in a few sittings, despite working full time and editing my own story.

Desolation Black, or Desi, is one of those protagonists who grabs your attention from the start. She is by no means perfect - in fact, I'd describe her as a morally ambiguous narrator, a girl who struggles with her own inner demons and desires. She makes mistakes - some of them huge - and often chooses the wrong thing, but her heart is ultimately in the right place when it comes to protecting the people she cares about. Ali accomplishes what few authors can - she creates a character the reader can sympathize with, but who still does an astonishing number of bad things.

Another of my favorite characters in BECOME is Lucy, a friend and mother-figure who protects Desi from the moment they meet. Like all characters in this story, Lucy isn't perfect - she works as a prostitute and is known for being sexually promiscuous. She's human; flawed, but still likable. I fell in love with Lucy and her character literally jumped off the page.

BECOME's plot offers plenty of twists and turns that you will never see coming. With simple, gorgeous prose, Ali has a unique voice that really captures the thoughts and feelings of teenaged Desi. Desi's struggles really resonated with me; like all people, she's often confused as to which path to take, although her choices tend to have larger consequences than most. Although the story is one of good and evil, Ali paints all her characters in shades of gray; Desi, the Devil's daughter, may have evil inside her, but it's ultimately the choices she makes that define who she truly is. The story is well-paced with nonstop action, and the romance is 100% fulfilling. I got shivers when I finally finished. Ali is amazingly talented, and this story surpassed my wildest expectations. Fully recommended for anyone who's a fan of the YA genre.

If you're interested in purchasing BECOME, you can find it on Amazon.com in both paperback and e-book versions.


Ali....she's so pretty :)

And now for a short interview with Ali!

1. BECOME deals with some dark topics, such as the good and evil that exists within all of us. What made you decide to write about such things?

I sort of feel like I don't have a choice--it seems all my books deal with the imperfect part of our nature. Even when I try to write happy-go-lucky stories, say for middle grade readers, they always end up dealing with some sort of internal struggle with our darker side.

2. What made you decide to self-publish? What has been difficult about the experience, and what have you enjoyed?

I decided to self-publish because I believed the time for my story was now, and since it wasn't getting picked up by traditional means, it would be quite a while before I could try again. I felt I needed to strike while the iron was hot, so to speak. I think the most difficult part about self-publishing is giving up the dream of the traditional route--and learning to feel proud of my choice and not like my book or myself were second rate because I self-published. The best part? Having so much creative control over the process. Everything was done to my specification and that's pretty awesome!

3. Will there be sequels to BECOME?

YES! The second book, DESOLATION, will be out in the spring! I have a third book planned that will finish out this particular part of my main character's story--but if readers enjoy the world and characters I think I could probably write some more. :)


4. What was your favorite part of writing BECOME?

My favorite part of writing BECOME was probably the discovery process--I like to plan the bones of a story, but I discover my characters through drafting. Sometimes characters are different than I first think they are and they surprise me. A lot like people in real life!

5. What is your favorite candy?

We're talking candy here, right? Not chocolate? :P In that case, my favorite candy would be Mike & Ike's! Love those things :D


There you have it! Thanks for joining us, Ali, and I hope everyone out there enjoys BECOME!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Kate. Thank you so much for that amazing and generous review! ((Hugs))

    And thanks for having me here!

    ReplyDelete