Monday, October 24, 2011

Thanking people

Oftentimes when I finish a novel, I like to go through the back section and read the author's acknowledgements. Writing a book is hard (I'm sure I don't have to tell you that) and I think acknowledgements are of the utmost importance. We all have people who've helped us, or changed us, or made our writing better. So today, I'm writing my own set of "unofficial" acknowledgements to thank those who have made a difference in my writing life.

First of all, to my family, who've dealt with my writerly freak-outs and neurosis. I would especially like to thank my mom, who reads drafts in record time whenever I ask her.

To my extended family, the most supportive, eclectic bunch of people you'll ever meet.

To all my friends, especially Coco Holbrook and Kita DeMare, who believed in me.

To my wonderful critique partners, beta readers, and writing friends: Liesl Shurtliff, Taryn Albright, Ali Cross, Melanie Jex, Celesta Rimington, and my WIFYR groups. You guys are all amazingly talented writers and such wonderful people! Taryn gets an extra mention for being my business partner-in-crime, and a fellow teen :).

To my roommate, Caitlin Mckelvie, who puts up with my weirdness, and who makes sure it takes me FOREVER to finish revisions by constantly distracting me.

To all my English teachers, especially Kate Arch and Carolyn Turkanis, who supported my creative writing from the start. Thanks must also go to Mindy Thompson, my high school English teacher for three years running.

To Carol Lynch Williams, for the wonderful conference she puts on every year and her amazing dedication to aspiring authors.

To Alane Ferguson, for being the first author who really believed in me, and for introducing me to my agent.

To my agent and editor, who are both awesome.

To everyone at PUSH and the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers.

To my blog readers - I know I'm behind on commenting on all your blogs, but I have been reading, and I promise to be better in the future! I'm so grateful you're even remotely interested in what I have to say. Thank you all so much!

I feel like I'm forgetting tons of important people. If I left you off, I'm sorry! I'm writing this post in math class, so my attention is somewhat fragmented :).

Who are you thankful for?

5 comments:

  1. In math class? Love it! :) Thanks for the laugh. Love you, too! It really is amazing how we each need a network of people around us in order to do what we do. Each time one of us succeeds, the victory really belongs to all of those people who helped us get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I feel all warm and fuzzy. I'm grateful for you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family, friends, Megan Dolan my CP, and blog buddies.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you just the most wonderful, giving out thanks and all :-)

    I would thank God, my family, friends and crit partners, along with any readers who decided to give my book a try...once I publish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the thanks, Kate! =) I'm grateful for a mom who isn't afraid to tell me what I need to work on, a husband who lets me correct his grammar because he knows I can't help it, talented critique partners and friends, and blogging literary agents who dispense helpful advice.

    And I'm always grateful for the woman who discovered chocolate. It must've been a woman, right?

    ReplyDelete