Thursday, October 6, 2011

Laziness

Behold:


I feel like this picture says quite a lot about writers. We all have days when we feel lazy....we don't want to write, revise, or think about our stories. But I also think this picture applies to the revision process itself. Sometimes, there is an aspect of a story that I, as the author, know doesn't quite fit, but I'm too lazy to go back and change it. I think to myself, "Nobody will notice. That info dump on page three? It's basically invisible, hidden by sharp dialogue."

We all do this.

Stop right now.

I know it's hypocritical for me to say this since I do it myself, but I think it's something we can all work on. Don't be lazy. Don't settle for anything less than perfection. Expect more of yourself. And even if you do ignore that info dump on page three, your critique partners will spot it from a mile away, and then you'll finally be forced to confront it. This is one of the huge things I've noticed as an editor at Teen Eyes - when I make suggestions, the author oftentimes already suspects what I'm going to say. They know what's wrong with their manuscript, but they hope they can slip by without fixing it.

Laziness leads to plot holes and character inconsistencies. It's just a downer all around. This month, my goal is to be less lazy.....get stuff done, revise meticulously, and never settle for less than my best.

I hate to be cliche, but the old saying is true: you are the greatest obstacle to your own success.

8 comments:

  1. Love the poster and how you connected it to writing. I can see drawing the line around the tree if working on a first draft, but even then, the less lazy one writes, the less to change in future drafts.

    Best of luck with your goal. Look forward to seeing your progress with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the poster! And that's very good advice. I keep setting goals to be less lazy...and then putting them off. I really need to stop that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AGREED! Thanks for the reminder. It's often unconcious. I know that I'm not entirely sure something is "wrong" so I hope that it's not, even though I suspect that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfection is a steep hill to climb. I understand the need for it but I'm going to disagree and say that it isn't necessarily lazy not to end up with absolute perfection. Just as long as I feel it is the best I can do I shall lose no sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! Be less lazy! Down with lazy! *raises fist in the air*

    And hey, have fun with the dorky boys in the mountains! (and I had to snicker at the "college friends". don't know why, just made me giggle!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the picture and the post. Thanks for sharing. Laziness is the downfall of us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post. And so timely for me. There are many times I'm tempted to be lazy during revisions, but every word counts, and I don't want to disappoint my audience, my characters, or myself.

    Hopping over from Ali's blog! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete