Monday, September 26, 2011

Why I don't tell people I'm a writer

Inspired by Taryn's post a few days ago, here are some reasons I don't tell people I'm a writer:

"Oh, you wrote a book? Is it published?"
"What's your book about?"
"Do you make billions of dollars like JK Rowling?"
"Are you going to be rich?"
"What's your book about?"
"You sold your book! Congrats! Will it be out next month?"
"How did you come up with the money to hire your agent?"
"What's your book about?"
"Is it like Twilight?"
"Is it like Harry Potter?"
"What's your book about?"
"Will you give me a free copy when it's released?"
"Is your publisher going to send you on a country-wide tour?"
"How do you find time to write?" (I MAKE time b&%$^#!)
"What's your book about?"

Me: DX *&*&#(()^%$$^%!@#&^*%*&)#$*()@#*

15 comments:

  1. YES. I'm thinking of getting business cards:
    Ian Hiatt
    YA Author
    Don't Ask Me What It's About.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I just made business cards. Why didn't I think of this?

      But seriously, that's like the worst question ever. Who ever first strung those words together must have been punished severely in the afterlife.

      Delete
  2. This is sooooooooooooooo true. I hate that question: "What's your book about?" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *beats head against the wall*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit the nail on the head girl! This may be one of my favorite posts ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Especially on the "will you give us all [i.e. family/friends/Facebook buddies/random acquaintances] free signed copies?"

    ???????

    They do realize I'd like to actually MAKE money on the book, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is funny but incredibly true. You made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katie! Thanks for finding my blog the other day!

    I don't tell people either. Sometimes I say that I write.. but don't go farther than that.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with those questions yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROFL!!!!!

    So, Kate.

    What IS your book about?

    *ducks*

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny and so sad that it's true... LOL

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete