Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Five stages of revision

Denial - My critique partners just don't get it. They don't understand what I'm trying to do. This story is obviously perfect, and if they can't see my brilliance then that's their problem. Who cares if it's exactly the same as Twilight?

Anger - Why did they have to be so harsh? They're wrong! They suck! I'm never working with them again! My vampire is sexy and that's all that matters!

Bargaining - Okay....I'll cut the vampire-human-hybrid-baby out of the story, but there's no way I'm removing her sparkly vampire boyfriend. No. Just no.

Depression - I'm an awful writer. My critique partners hate everything about my story. I'll never be any good and I'll never get published.

Acceptance - Fine. I guess I really should cut out the vampire-human-hybrid-baby and the sparkly vampire boyfriend. Back to the (metaphorical) drawing board.


Hopefully I'll get back to regular first page critiques next week....it's been crazy lately, what with moving into my new house, so I haven't had time yet. Sorry to everyone who has been waiting!

6 comments:

  1. That's just too true. You go through the stages long enough and you can identify which stage you're presently in, and it's always in that order. If you've ever seen the giraffe video, it's a riot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the warning. I've just started the whole critique partner thing. I think the first notes I got I went straight to Depression. Oh, and what giraffe video?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! love this, it's so true! It's always reassuring to hear all those many-times-published authors say they still go through this a little bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All together, the first initials spell Dabda. If you rearranged them they would spell Baadd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post--the humor helps take the sting out of the truth of the process we all go through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely fantastic blog!!! Glad I found it! Love it!!!

    Lola x
    http://lola-x.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete