Sunday, July 17, 2011

Teen Eyes

First page critiques start Tuesday! I'm very excited to read the submissions I've received, and I hope my comments are helpful to those who have sent in their pages.

Anyways, I'm posting today with an announcement: Taryn Albright and I have formed an editorial company called Teen Eyes. For those of you who don't know, Taryn is an incredibly talented 18-year-old writer who has completed nine manuscripts and works as an intern at a literary agency. I am an agented writer, my first novel is undergoing revisions at Scholastic Press, and I read submissions for several Scholastic imprints. Both of us have experience with freelance editing. Apart from having writing credentials, Taryn and I are within the age demographic for YA - we can provide the dual perspectives of being teenagers as well as experienced writers. We offer a number of services, all for a relatively low price. For more information you can check out the tab at the top of this page marked "Manuscript Critiques."




Taryn and I are super excited about this! I've had a number of regular clients who I critique for, but until now I haven't done a great deal to promote my freelance editing. Our service will also provide cheap deals for those who want both of us to critique a manuscript. So if you write YA and are looking for a teenage perspective, as well as a reader who knows the business/craft, then send us an email and we'll see if we can work something out:

teen-eyes-editorial@hotmail.com

And to kick-start our little company, Taryn and I are giving away two free critiques! We'll be doing a reader report (again, see the tab titled Manuscript Critiques). To enter, simply comment on this post with your name, email, MS title, MS genre, and a short (1-3 sentence) pitch. Extra entries for those people who tweet/blog (leave a link) and Taryn and I will draw names to select the winners.

Hope y'all enter!

6 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea, Kate! I'll definitely look into it. :)

    My current manuscript is still in drafting stages, but if that's okay, I'd love to enter the contest anyway. :)

    Shallee McArthur
    shallee.mcarthur[at]gmail[dot]com
    The Unhappening of Genesis Lee
    YA light science fiction
    A 17-year-old girl who stores her memories in external objects must hunt down the thief who is stealing memories before everyone in her town—including her—is robbed of their pasts.

    And I tweeted: http://twitter.com/#!/ShalleeMcArthur/status/93177978846052352

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just get awesomer and awesomer! Hurray for you! And for everyone else who will benefit from your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome awesome awesome contest!
    I think I just may try to tap into your minds :)

    Name: Jenni Merritt
    Email: jennimerritt.writing (at) gmail (dot) com
    MS Title: Prison Nation
    Genre: YA Dystopian
    Pitch: Millie 942B was born behind bars. Raised inside one of the Nation’s city-sized prisons, Millie always believed in its strict laws and harsh punishments. Now Millie has turned 18, and has been released, only to find that the life and freedom she had always believed in aren’t what she thought they would be.

    Tweeted too!! http://twitter.com/#!/JMWriting/status/93180457444851712

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, This is really fun! I'd love to enter the contest.

    Name: Dawn M. Hamsher
    Email: dramadawn[at]embarqmail[dot]com
    Title: The Library Chronicles, The Guardians Book 1
    Genre: YA Adventure/Fantasy
    Is there a secret to guard in the Coyle Free Library? What did Emily's dying words mean, "Find it...first"? An unlikely group of adventurers are thrust into a fallen kingdom whose future rests solely in their hands.

    I posted on facebook and my blog.
    The Write Soil

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have anything to submit right now, but I just wanted to say I love what you're doing here! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've already read the first twenty pages of my novel, and it is middle grade...so I won't enter the contest. :) But, I wanted to say this is a fantastic idea. I know you and Taryn will make a great team and will help many aspiring writers.

    ReplyDelete