Wednesday, July 6, 2011

MATCHED winner....and I'm now a publishing insider!

Congratulations to Linda M, winner of a signed copy of Ally Condie's book MATCHED! I'll be contacting you shortly to get your address. And thanks to everyone who entered!


So I arrived in New York City yesterday at 3:30. After dropping my stuff off at the Webster, I decided to take a trip just to make sure I knew how to find the Scholastic building. Well, I didn't. Not one bit. I wandered around for three hours, nearly died of starvation, and spent the last thirty minutes trying desperately to find a bathroom so I wouldn't pee myself. Eventually, however, a crisis was averted, and I found the Scholastic building right smack in the middle of Broadway.

This morning marked my first day as an intern at Scholastic Press. I met three other reading interns (I'm a writing intern) and as soon as I arrived my editor set me up in her boss's office to work. Jody (my editor) is pretty awesome, and I got to speak briefly with David Levithan as he flew by on the way to a meeting. Otherwise, Zoe (another intern) and I had the room to ourselves, where we distracted one another for a while before finally getting down to business. I edited several chapters, and many of the Scholastic editors were kind enough to answer my questions about publishing and the like. Here are just a few of the things I learned:


~Interns are ALWAYS the first readers. Even if the manuscript comes from an agent or an established author, an intern will read it and write up a report before the editor even glances at it.

~Editors will often read no more than twenty pages of a submission.

~Scholastic has a rooftop garden and a nice little coffee shop inside the building.

~You don't want to be stuck in the slush. Trust me, if you're going for a major publisher, you should definitely try to get an agent.

~Unsolicited submissions get read (albeit by interns) because the editors don't want to miss out on anything brilliant. Still, the interns will always read agented manuscripts first, so if you're in the slushpile it can take months to get to your manuscript.

~SLUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!! TANGIBLE SLUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!




~Also, guess who found an ARC of the next book by Matthew Kirby lying on a table? That's right. You're jealous. THE CLOCKWORK THREE was awesome, and I'm sure this one is even awesome-er!!!



On a different note, I bought a super cute hat and a pair of shorts at H&M. Yes, the shopping has officially begun. Pure madness.

That's all for today, but I'll be back soon with more tidbits of information learned at Scholastic Press!

9 comments:

  1. How fun! I can't wait to hear more about your interning adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An intern at Scholastic Press? In New York City? Lucky! Sounds like a ton of fun. :D I sure wouldn't want to get stuck in the slush pile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! thanks for sharing your adventures with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, so cool! It'd be awesome to get to be an intern at Scholastic. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the neat insider look! (wow, so glad I have an agent, gulp). Very cool that you have a job like that. Can't beat it--sound like a dream job! I'd never heard of a writing intern before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!

    And Carol, writing intern is basically just a title the Scholastic people made up for the PUSH Novel Contest winners....it's not a "real" job

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so fun and interesting! (Glad you didn't pee yourself.) And further confirmation that having an agent is the way to go. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the Scholastic family, Kate! I hope you enjoy ICEFALL.

    ReplyDelete