Friday, May 6, 2011

Harry Potter's Ending

So I grew up with Harry Potter. The books became popular when I was in second grade, and the seventh installment came out when I was fifteen years old. I love them. LOOOOOVVVVEEEE them. But I have to admit, I was very disappointed with the epilogue of book seven, which I found to be tedious and entirely unnecessary. I mean, did you really have to spell out exactly what happened to all the characters? Why not leave some of it to the imagination? It was unbearably saccharine (for me, at least), especially considering all the beloved characters who met their deaths in the final installment. After all that carnage, bloodshed, and loss, how can you possibly end Deathly Hallows with a phrase like "all was well"?

Anyway, now that you've made it through my short rant, I encourage you to pop over to my friend Emilia Plater's blog and read the alternate ending she cooked up for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It's hilarious. As in, pee-your-pants hilarious. Seriously, I'm pretty much in love with this girl after reading this. Someday we're going to meet in person and be BFFs and maybe even shop for boots.


*Note - don't click this link if you are bothered by slight sexual innuendoes.

4 comments:

  1. OMG YES. Emilia is absolutely hilarious. I don't remember when I started reading her blog, but I remember wishing I was her bff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually yet to read Harry Potter...summer reading list! Oh, I'm so excited to have more book on that :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wished there was more Harry and Ginny closure after the epic battle, before we jump to their middle-aged selves. I'm a softy like that. The mad dash she was under to crank out that last book must have been tremendous. I don't envy her at all. Glad you and I agree on this ending. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I totally agree. After the deaths in the climax/final battle, the ending WAS too saccharine. And no, we don't need to know every little tidy-up detail! (& naming all their kids after the people who died, awww)

    Still, a superb series that I really loved.

    ReplyDelete