Thursday, April 28, 2011

Agented!

Okay, so Emery's comment on Noveltee(n) prompted me to finally reveal my big news (although the title of this post is pretty self-explanatory). Two weeks ago I received an offer of representation from Edward Necarsulmer IV, head of the Children's Department at McIntosh and Otis. After jumping up and down and yelling for a few minutes I sent emails to the other agents who were reviewing the full manuscript. Responses have trickled in over the past twelve days, and as of Wednesday I had six offers, all from agents who I would've been thrilled to work with.

One thing that was important to me while querying was making sure agents judged me based on my writing, not on my age. Four of the six agents had no idea how old I was (the other two had either met me personally or received my work based on a referral). I've spent hours agonizing over this decision, trying to make an informed choice, and in the end I went with my gut and agreed to sign with Edward. He is excellent, and I can't wait to work with him! After his initial offer I just couldn't stop smiling. We'll be doing revisions over the next few months, and hopefully Aillea's Cards will eventually sell!

Anyways, yay! That's my news. I feel like this post should be longer, but I can't think of anything else to say so I'll just leave it at that.

13 comments:

  1. Outstanding! Six offers. That is no small accomplishment. Good work, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you're much more enthusiastic on this post. As is proper. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY KATE!!!!!!!!!!! I really want to read this "Aillea's Cards". It sounds AMAZING, even just from the one sentence over on tho side.
    Yay Kate!!!! I'm so happy for you :) *gives cheesecake*

    ReplyDelete
  4. His agency sounds like one of the best you could choose! congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! This is so exciting! I hope things continue to go well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fabulous, Kate!!! Congratulations! Good luck with revisions and submissions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *throwing confetti* I'm so happy for you!!!! I had a feeling this was your good news, but hearing you confirm it is so exciting! Congratulations!! I wish you all the luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fabulous, Kate!! I read you had news on Chersti's blog and had to trot over here, congrat you, and follow you. :D Way to go (and at 18, too, very impressive). Can't wait to read your book someday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, everyone! Your comments mean the world to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huzzah!!! So happy for you! We must celebrate together soon, maybe at Gail Carson Levine's book signing. I'm reviewing her book for Deseret News so I already got it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations :) What fantastic news!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much! And Kat, I really enjoyed your interview, and I can't wait to read Hybrid! The Golden Compass is one of my favorite books and I find the idea of two souls fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Kate! I'm so, so happy for you. And Edward's lucky to have you because you are an amazing and prolific writer. Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete