Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Writing is like painting

So I'm an artist. Sort of. Kind of. A little. I've taken classes at school, including both AP and IB Art, and I've done some painting/drawing on my own. Yesterday, I came across photos of a 20 square foot oil painting I did at the beginning of my junior year. For some reason I took pictures during every stage of the process. Like painting, writing evolves over time; what starts out rough and undeveloped can turn out to be much more polished with the proper revisions. As an example, I've posted the photos I found, outlining the artistic journey from start to finish. If you take issue with nude figures, don't look at these.














Oil painting was never exactly my strong suit, but I was forced to teach myself when I signed up for IB Art. I'm more of a pencil person. Last year I got into portaits:








Anyways, this is sort of a pointless post, and the pictures are pretty crappy quality. I'm just takin' up space :).

15 comments:

  1. Haha thanks! I have a lot of fun with art when I don't have to do it for school :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are really beautiful Kate. I actually really like the drawing of the old woman. I think I'm fascinated with wrinkles, probably because I am starting to get them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy freakin' smokes, girl. You've been holding out on us! And your post wasn't pointless at all! You were showing that every achievement has a process, that you build upon your work layer by layer.

    Your portraits are stunning Kate. YOU are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liesl - Haha I know what you mean! Wrinkles are so much fun to draw, they give the face nice texture :)

    Ali - Thanks! And I think YOU are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, you're ridiculously talented :D
    And I hope you don't find it stalkerish at all that I really enjoy your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! And no, I don't find it stalkerish at all! It's a huge honor to have people interested in my work :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey fellow I.B. art student!! (I take I.B. art as well.) I would love to know what you did in your IWB for this! It looks great!
    Also I noticed that your 17 and you have a contract with Scholastic, that is amazing. I hope that I can do as much at your age. lolz

    Please check out my blog, if you have time, at
    http://the-writing-junkie.blogspot.com/
    I have a story on there that I would love if you read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!

    I'm actually not in IB art this year....I took it in 11th grade, but I decided to focus on writing rather than continue with IB. For the painting I did a ton of research on symbolism and the like.

    Anyways, I followed your blog! Looking forward to getting to know you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you can write AND you're a good artist...lucky. When I try to draw a person, it comes out looking like a pile of random sticks. When I try to draw a puppy, it comes out looking like a cheeseburger. :) I do like to write though! Your stories look really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahaha well sometimes it's nice to have a drawing of a cheeseburger lying around ;)

    Thanks though! Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete