Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Why I Love Critiques

First of all, I've never been one to share my writing. I wrote five novels before the age of 17 and it's only in the past six months that I've actually let people read them. In fact, David Levithan and the Scholastic Editorial Board were the first to look at any of my work, back in April when I submitted to the PUSH Novel Contest.

I thought receiving critique would be difficult for me. Like all writers, I become emotionally invested in my efforts, and thus criticism becomes personal no matter how hard I try to distance myself. I've been pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to work with critique partners. I may not always agree with what they say, but in the end we both want the same thing: to make our books the best they can be. So here's a shoutout to all the people who have read my work so far:

Liz Whelan, who read the first, completely unedited draft of my WIP. Thanks so much for putting up with the initial suckage!

Ali Cross, Liesl Shurtliff, Sarah Johnston, and Kathleen, my first set of beta readers. I haven't gotten your comments back yet, but I'm sure they will be awesome and incredibly helpful.


I am thankful for my CP's!!!



P.S. College applications are kicking my ass...seriously, I think I'm mentally slow or something because I do not understand common app. My English teacher laughed at me yesterday for asking stupid questions about transcripts.

6 comments:

  1. College apps are never easy. You're not getting dumber. They just sap all intelligence from everyone. But you'll get through it. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Scholastic going to publish your novel? I would definitely buy your book even though I don't know the plot or anything about it. BTW, when are you going to take the NY scholastic internship? I'm so excited for you (Sorry if this sounds kind of stalkerish. I tend to become really excited for other people)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous,

    There's no final word yet on whether or not Scholastic will publish my book. It's undergoing revisions at the moment with an editor, and once we're done the acquisitions committee will have to make a decision. Hopefully!!! I haven't made any concrete plans concerning the internship, but I'd like to go next summer, probably during the month before I start college.

    Also, not stalkerish at all! I'm just glad somebody actually reads this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it's the college apps that are dumb. Shouldn't those kinds of things be somewhat intuitive? Yet they are not.

    I'm excited to see you tomorrow and talk about your book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROFL on the applications thing! I seem to remember having similar feelings way back when.

    I'm almost done your book! And so jealous that Liesl got TOGETHER with you talk about it ~ we should have done that all together. *sigh* Sad for me.

    My goal is to have your MS back to you tomorrow night.

    And yes, being able to receive criticism is part of what we do ~ and really, it's not like people reading your book WANT you to fail. If they do? You need some better CP's. STAT. (I promise I'm not one of THOSE!)

    ReplyDelete