Sunday, November 21, 2010

SCBWI Conference

So, I am officially the worst blogger ever, I know....but hey, college applications are due in the next month so at least I have an excuse. Things have been pretty busy lately. I'm over my head in school work/friend stuff, but I set aside time last weekend in order to attend the SCBWI Conference at the SLC Main Library.

First off, I had a really great time getting to know people at the conference. I don't have many writer friends, what with the whole being 17 thing, but when I get the chance it's so much fun to meet others who are passionate about the written word. All the presentations were wonderful, particularly Matt Kirby's speech on voice and how to obtain one. The day was rather long for me (I've got a pretty limited attention span) but overall the experience was wonderful. Also, I'll take free food any day ;).

The highlight of my conference experience came at the end of the day, when I got to meet with an editor from Random House. I sent her the first chapter of my WIP back in October. She read it, asked some questions, and gave me a list of notes and suggestions. Her input was very helpful.

Anyways, I hope you are all writing like crazy! Anybody doing NaNo? If you are, I applaud your diligence, and maybe you can share some of your secrets with me :). I have a feeling I'd fail at NaNo even if I did have extra time.

On an entirely unrelated note, I finally joined twitter. If you're on there you should stop by and say hello!

Kate's Twitter


See ya!

6 comments:

  1. I feel weird commenting RIGHT AWAY OMG, but I was on my computer, and I will totally forget if I don't comment now.

    I'm NOT doing Nano, but I really wanted to. I'm working on getting SPITFIRE up to snuff and putting together my workshop packet for VCFA (only a month and a half until residency!).

    Also, if you're still looking for a crit-partner beta-type person, I'm happy to swap! My second round of revisions should be done by December 1st. Should be. But I'm kind of awesome at procrastinating.

    And good luck with your college apps--they're undoubtedly the WORST PART of college (although that vehement reaction is more in relation to graduate applications...I had a tough time with those. Pull-your-hair-out tough.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll see plenty of requests! I'm nearly done reading and think you've got some great stuff going on. I should finish tomorrow...I'll email you.

    Almost done with my first draft and ready for a break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Liesl! I'm going through a week of self-doubt, so that means a lot to me.

    And Shayda, I will email you today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh, I never got an email. (Although if you haven't sent one yet, that's totally understandable. But if you did...I didn't get it.)

    It's slbakhshi (at) hotmail (dot) com just in case! :) (That second letter is a lower-case L, just to be clear.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a confession to make: I have been anonymously stalking your blog.

    The reason I ventured out of my anonymous-stalking mode is to tell you that you are my young-writer-hero. In other words, I aspire to be you when I'm 17 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahahahaha! Thanks, Anonymous!!!

    Feel free to come out of your anonymous cocoon any time. I love meeting other young writers :)

    ReplyDelete