Monday, October 25, 2010

Because Madeleine L'Engle said it so much better....

Going back to my post on fantasy fiction and whether or not it has literary merit, here is Madeleine L'Engle's take on the subject. She made this comment based on submissions to the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards in the 1970's. I think this perfectly sums up what I was trying to say, albeit with much more grace, clarity, and eloquence:

“I am pleased to note a wider enthusiasm for the world which is beyond the world of provable fact, an awareness of fantasy and fairy tale as vehicles of truth, rather than as escape from truth.”

I have to admit, she's pretty awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Kate! I hopped over from Ali's blog. Congrats on your adorable award!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love that, "vehicles of truth". It's what I long believed, but it's awesome to hear it from the mouth of one of the truly great fantasy writers.

    And Kate! I gave you an award on my blog today! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that.

    Writing both literary YA and fantasy I love both. But I grew up reading mostly fantasy and it taught me more about the world than a lot of other books ever did.

    ReplyDelete