Sunday, July 18, 2010

Those days....

True: Kate tends to fall off stationary objects, like chairs and couches.

Do you ever have one of those days? You know, one of THOSE days?

Yeah. I'm having one. Everything I write seems awful, my manuscript is bogged down with purple prose and pathetic attempts at character development, and all potential titles are, to be quite frank, lame. I tried to write. Instead, I ended up staring at the blank TV, folding pieces of tape into triangles, and throwing erasers at the wall. ADD kicked in fast and hard.

My motivation has gone on vacation. A long, very expensive vacation, in a place with no cell phone service or wireless connections. We have had no contact at all. Thus the quality (and quantity) of my writing has suffered.

So I ask you this, dear readers (all 10 of you). How do you motivate yourself? What do you do when your motivation joins your muse on an island in Hawaii, leaving you to flounder in the muddled realm of your own brain? How do you cope? Why are we writers in the first place?

Sigh. I'm going to go wallow in despair now. If, by any chance, you happen to come across my motivation, please call and let me know. I will collect it promptly.

5 comments:

  1. Whenever I'm in that kind of mood, I usually just read something. I don't do it to glean inspiration from the writer, but for some reason I usually feel more creative after reading a book. Also, reading that book makes me daydream about my own book being in someone else's hands, and thus my work ethic gets a sharp kick in the rump XD
    Whatever you do, don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad you go through that too! You're a genius but a human one!

    I try to do something that's mindless but rhythmic. Running really loosens up my ideas, but also folding laundry or doing dishes. Reading one of my favorite books can help too.

    But the most important thing is to just keep going. Write even when the muse isn't speaking (or on vacation, as the case may be.) That's what revision is for. But you know that. You'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks guys. I actually did go running, and it sort of helped me get back on track.

    I guess perseverence is a big part of being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read and read and read until my own ideas start flowing again. I pick books that are brilliant -- they tantalize my mind with their outstanding prose and have an involving plot that keeps me up at night.

    And to be honest, I don't write when I feel like that. I just read. I feel that the imagination is a muscle, and I have to work my way through books to get my imagination working again. And when I read good prose, I tend to write better.

    I also find that when I am just reading stuff to critique, it doesn't have that same polish as a published book (because hey -- that's what editors do is help you perfect your prose) so I really try to make sure I am reading stuff off my shelf.

    Hope that helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Chersti!
    I've never tried reading...I'll have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete