Sunday, July 11, 2010

Back!

Well, everyone, I'm back from Kenya! First of all, I'm happy to announce that my bunny has made a miraculous recovery! Although the vet previously told us he had brain cancer, his head has gone back to normal, which means he most likely suffered from a rare stroke. He may live for many years to come!

I can't even begin to describe the experience I had in Kenya. There are no words for what I felt, no way to explain how it changed me. I fell in love with Africa. I cried for hours on the plane ride home, wishing I could stay longer, especially considering how difficult it was to get there in the first place. I love every member of my Youthlinc team, and I'm already going through separation anxiety now that I don't get to see them everyday. We shared something truly special. We will always hold Africa in our hearts.

I'm super jet-lagged at the moment, so I'll do a more detailed Kenya post later. For now, though, I'm going to share with you our team's dance to Waka Waka, which we performed at the closing ceremonies in Kiamuri. We didn't have much time to prepare for the ceremony, what with all of the other work we did in the village, so this is the best we could come up with. Here's to you, Youthlinc 2010 team!

video

7 comments:

  1. That dance was so cute!! I was impressed the boys went along with the skipping part. Then again, he got to hold the hands of a couple girls, so why wouldn't he, right?

    SO glad you had a wonderful time Kate. I'm not surprised though, I mean, when you're serving people, how can you not feel the love?

    Glad you're back though! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah the boys were all really good sports about that sort of stuff....I think they got used to it, after spending three weeks with a bunch of girls.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back. Again, I'm envious. Such a trip would've been a colossal trip for me, but I look forward to your stories when you get a change to recap, maybe? Anyway, welcome back. Good to know you're alive, well, and alive and well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that your bunny is doing better! A big trip always feels a little surreal once it's over, but I think that the handful of days following can sometimes leave the longest-lasting impact, as you start to process and remind yourself that it wasn't a dream. And it's great that your first time out was such a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate--I just sent you an e-mail to see if you want to come talk to a group of middle school kids at the U next week about your writing. This experience in Africa sounds amazing. I'm so happy for you to have all of these great experiences! --Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it was an amazing experience. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!

    Sad as I am to come home, I'm happy to be back on the blogosphere with all of you wonderful writers!

    ReplyDelete