Sunday, June 13, 2010

Article+Teen Conference

Finally, it's here! This is the link to the article, published June 13 in the Mix section of the Salt Lake Tribune.

Article

Also, I attended a teen writing conference last weekend which I haven't yet had the chance to blog about. The conference was a day-long event at Weber University. I met tons of awesome young writers, as well as several published professionals including Julie Wright, Lisa Mangum, and Dan Wells. The classes were great and I loved getting the chance to socialize with other people who write fiction (we're definitely an interesting bunch). As a plus, the first page of my next novel won $50 in the first page contest!

On a different note, you should all check out Anna Waggener's blog (since I finally learned how to make a link). She's the 2008 winner of the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards (there was no 2009 winner, so she's the most recent apart from me) and her blog is hilarious! Click the link. You know you want to.

That's it for today. Hope you are all doing well!

~Kate

9 comments:

  1. Yay for the article! And thanks for the link :)

    All of your talk of conferences and workshops makes me really want to get back to the states and enroll in some. Is it just me, or does Utah have an unusually healthy writing community? I always feel like I hear about these great things going on/lit magazines, and am always surprised that they're in SLC. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough closer to home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem!

    It's true, Utah has a huge writing community, especially in the middle grade/YA fantasy area. Consequently we have a ton of conferences and workshops. It's definitely a good place to live if you want to be a writer. Right now, actually, I'm doing a weeklong conference called Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers, which is (as the name suggests) a conference for people who want to write for kids/teens. I'm sure you could find some in your area...they're great for networking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read the article! I was hoping for more inspiration and exaggeration, but oh well. We don't want to bring back yellow journalism.

    As for conferences, how do you find out about them? Do you just google "writer's conferences" or something?

    Also, I did check out Anna's blog. Thanks for the link! I really liked her articles, and we talked a little. Yay for more internet-writer-friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm glad there wasn't too much exaggeration :)

    Well you should really try to network with writers in your community. For instance, whenever a local author does a signing at a bookstore, go to the signing. Oftentimes other writers will come to support the author. That way you'll hear about conferences through word of mouth. In addition, you should get the book A Guide to Literary Agents 2010. It has a great list of agents, but also a list of writing conferences in the back. That's how I've found some of mine.

    Hope that helps!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alrighty! It does. Thanks much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most excellent blog Kate! Thanks for finding me ~ now I've found you! And I am a recovering liar. Just, you know. FYI. Before I started writing I lied a LOT. Now that I write, it seems it feeds the lying Habit (note the capital H *grin*) and I do much better in my actual real life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. I was actually referring to lying in terms of writing fiction (after all, fiction is, technically, lying). I try not to lie in real life :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you list all the books you've written and the current status they're in, even the one you wrote when you were seven. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha yeah, I enjoy looking back on old projects and seeing how bad they were. I can't believe the conference is over!!!

    ReplyDelete