Monday, May 31, 2010

Yet another useless post

Yes, I know. I really am abusing this blog. I promise the next post will be less self-indulgent.

Behold, a censored excerpt from the "Things We Hate" list, as created by Kate, Katie, and Chloe during a rather boring English period. For the sake of being politically correct, the title has been changed to the "Things That Annoy Us" list.

-People who chew really loudly.
-The word "hella."
-When skinny girls complain about being fat.
-Theory of Knowledge (if you are or ever were an IB student, you know what we mean).
-Doing the dishes.
-Spending all your money on gas/food, then realizing it was all you had.
-Paraguay.
-Soccer tan lines (trust me, they can get pretty ugly).
-When your hair won't fall the right way no matter what you do.
-Summer reading.
-ANY summer homework.
-Homework in general.
-Snow in May (curse you, SLC).
-Teacher's pets.
-Being expected to fill highschool stereotypes.
-Dress code.
-Men (haha).
-Glen Beck (hahahahaha).
-Narwhal poaching.
-The fact that the dinosaurs died out, because let's face it, the dinosaurs were awesome.
-The word "shoot".
-People who use the words "lol" or "omg" as part of their regular vocabulary.


Now, to counteract all that negative energy, here's a list of things that are completely and irrevocably awesome:

-Narwhals.
-Dinosaurs.
-Comfort food of all kinds.
-Joss Whedon/Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
-Frozen yogurt.
-Cheesecake from the cheesecake factory (1500 calories per slice=heaven).
-Night swimming in the summer.
-Dress shopping, especially when your parents pay.
-Seeing how many saltine crackers you can eat in under a minute.
-Eating the frosting off cupcakes.
-Ice blocking.
-Bunnies.
-Drawing pictures on our IB Math Studies tests because we didn't know the answers.
-Doing interpretive dance as a way to answer a math problem (didn't work, by the way).
-Making fun of Mr. Marsden.
-Making fun of Ms. King.
-Making fun of Mr. Case.
-Not making fun of Ms. Thompson, because she's pregnant so we feel bad.
-Holding hands in Spanish class.


Yup. That pretty much sums it up. I feel like I should at least mention writing (after all, that's what this blog is all about) but nothing much has happened since I last posted. We leave for New York in eight days, and I'm so excited to attend the workshops at Scholastic! Chapter 33 is now complete. Just a few more to go, and then I get to enter the wonderful world of revisions. Wish me luck!

~Kate

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kate!
    I've linked your blog on mine; hope you don't mind. :)
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Workshops? Sounds fun! Do you know what those are gonna be like?

    I love the novel projects that you put up! Just getting an idea of what you've written is really cool :) I just can't imagine someone so young writing full-length novels. It's like a child drawing full-fleshed humans instead of stick figures. Incredible!

    Sorry that I disappeared for a while. I was getting a job and doing my first hours and graduating and hosting my grad party and going to grad parties...tiring. But things are starting to smooth out :)

    That's all for now. Can't wait to here more about your road with Scholastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome that you graduated! Also awesome that you got a job...where are you working? I worked at Jamba Juice last summer. I absolutely hated it, but hopefully you'll have a better experience than I did.

    The workshops were absolutely amazing (I'm about to post a recap of the awards, you should check it out :)). My favorite was the one where we got to tour Harper Collins. They gave us all sorts of free books and promotional materials, and we got to see all the conference rooms and marketing areas and everything else. It was really interesting.

    Haha I guess it's good that I started writing young, but let me tell you, those first few stories were AWFUL. Maybe I'll post an excerpt sometime from one of my earlier pieces :). Also, the first two books were pretty much an exact copy of Lord of the Rings, with young girls as the main characters instead of old guys. That there was the main problem. Like you said, it's as if a child were drawing full-fleshed humans, but I wasn't mentally prepared to flesh out a novel-length story on my own. So I copied a book that I knew had worked (LotR) and just changed a couple of elements to suit my own interests. It was bad, but I suppose those fledgling efforts were ultimately beneficial to my writing in the end.

    Anyways, I'm off to finish up editing. Talk to you soon!

    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete