Friday, November 27, 2009

Winter is upon us....

The floor is cold when I wake up in the mornings. You might think, given that Utah is a desert, that our winters would be somewhat milder than most. Not true in the least. As someone who cannot stand snow I can attest to the fact that we have some of the coldest winters around. If I had my way, I would most likely make a blanket fort in my room, curl up inside, and hibernate until the arrival of April signals the merciful reappearance of the sun.

Recently I've been wondering how other writers motivate themselves. For me, I have to set a word limit each day, and keep writing until I hit that limit. Otherwise nothing ever gets done. Currently I aim for 1,000 words, which can take anywhere from an hour and a half to three hours. It helps that the soccer season is over and I find myself with slightly more time on my hands. Ha. Time. Don't we all wish we had more of it.

Anyways, these past few months I've attended several book signings by authors in the Salt Lake City area. One was a presentation by Michelle Zink, author of The Prophecy of the Sisters. She was relatively unknown when I met her, but I hear she's getting more and more popular by the day, and I absolutely adored her first book. I set aside all other projects (including homework) until I finished it! She came across as an incredibly gracious, humble person, and I am excited to read the next installment in her series! The kick-off party for James Dashner's The Maze Runner was slightly smaller than I expected. However, in the few short weeks since his book has been published it's received a great deal of well-deserved recognition! I LOVED this story. I've never been much for science fiction, but this book blew me away, and I found myself staying up until past midnight trying to get through as many chapters as possible. I have nothing bad to say about it. The author himself was humorous and unassuming, and I enjoyed hearing him speak.

Overall the writing has been going well. Thanks to the outline I wrote in August I've encountered no real writer's block issues, although I'll admit it often takes me a while to get into writing. My fingers are crossed! I know that it is unlikely, bordering on unrealistic, to hope that this project will ever be published, but I suppose there's no harm in wishing. :)

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment